Disabled Businesspersons Association (DBA)
The Disabled Business Association (DBA), is a national 501(C)(3) nonprofit, public charity and educational organization founded in 1991. DBA assists entrepreneurs and professionals with disabilities to:
- maximize their potential in the business world, and
- to encourage the participation and enhance the performance of the individuals with disabilities in the workforce.
San Diego businessperson, Urban Miyares, started the organization after counseling a few fellow veterans who were business owners. Miyares is nationally recognized as a leading authority on the self-employment of people with disabilities.
"About 20 percent of the people who come to the DBA were already in business. For many of these individuals, we're helping them get back into the business world and often get started in a new business." - Urban Miyares, President,DBA
The DBA provides free services to thousands of individuals yearly and works directly with many local business organizations, government agencies, and the communities in general to expand and develop the successful transition of people with disabilities to self-sufficiency and independence as entrepreneurs with disabilities.
Since the organization was founded it has assisted more than 12,000 persons. Services Provided Include:
- Personal Business Advisor
- Business Plan and Financial Assistance Packaging
- Market and Product Research
- Marketing, Advertising and Public Relations
- Presentation and Proposal Documentation
- National Consultant, Vendor and Business Network
- Information Newsletter
- Educational Seminars, Workshops and Conferences
- Technology and Equipment Research and Evaluation
For More Information Contact:
Disabled Businesspersons Association
San Diego State University-Interwork Institute
5850 Hardy Avenue, Suite 112
San Diego, California 92182-5313
Have a Question or Comment About This Article?